Wednesday, October 04, 2006

How did I do it!?

Ever since I wrote about my participation in the Bangalore International Marathon, I've been inundated by requests to blog about my preparation for the same. (Ok, actually, there was only one request from my friend Kattricker, but a little bloggetic license never hurt anyone, eh?)
I kind of decided at the beginning of the year (it was actually one of my new-year resolutions) that I should participate in a marathon this year. So, I started practicing - running around 5km/day (actually jogged/walked/ran for 5kms) on weekdays and 11kms on weekends since February of this year. This was on empty stomach, with no fluid intake in-between. Midway, I realized that completing 42kms in 3+ hours was simply not my cup of...well, Gatorade, so I decided to go in for the half-marathon. And I continued this for nearly 4-5 months.
Just before the race though, I had a quiet period because of work pressure, and couldn't keep up the schedule. But anyway, I had to attempt this - I had come too far down the road to give up. (BTW, thanx to a mythical creature who egged me on.) So, the day before the race, I ate well, slept early (as the race was scheduled to begin at 5:30AM, I had to get up real early), and was off. I wouldn't have completed the race if I wasn't paced by my former manager, Venky. He had run in the previous race, and showed me how to pace myself. Another thing we kept in mind was to drink just enough water to keep us going, and not gulp down a litre at each leg of the race.
So, that's it...and BTW, if you folks are under any illusion that this is something great, let me tell you that my average speed of around 6kms/hr, is just above normal walking speed. So, it is just that _I_ entered the race - anyone else could've done it with equal or greater ease. Finishing it in around 2.5 hrs - with an average speed of around 8-9kms/hr - now that'll be an achievement.

4 comments:

kattricker said...

Lo tharle, walkathlon eno?? nevertheless its a great feat - if anyone amongst us has done anything like this, its you. So hotte swalpa karagtha?

Anonymous said...

Haudo :D Hange aaythu konege...

Hotte karaglilvo - inna MSRI saerid maele jaasti aagide...

Thanx for the compliments btw! :)

Srikanth said...

hi gopal.... first let me congratulate u for completing half marathon.

It takes a lot of determination to practice everyday, so hats off to u. Probably u are the first one i have heard in a long time who has stuck up to the new year resolution.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Thanks, Srikanth!
Appreciate the appreciation! :D